Draught excluder for 2007 CSR

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blue7
Blue7's picture

I should have perhaps updated the instructions to say that I eventually trimmed off the excess that overlaps the boot cover so that it now just touches the boot cover.  The problem with using perspex is that would be difficult to store in the car whereas the pvc version just rolls up inside the half hood.  Similarly the above suggestions of using a "frame" is also probllematical when it comes to storing in the car. 

I still have some fly screen mesh left over from the mk1 version (which was far too contrived ... but worked), so I will have to make the mk2 version using the mesh instead of pvc.  It will be a welcome change from cleaning out our coal shed and painting the interior white, just to store logs instead of coal!

Darrenkidney
Darrenkidney's picture

Being a relatively new 7 owner.... forgive the question: why would you want to dismount a framed screen when out and about and have to transport it? I was thinking that once it is mounted, it stays "forever".

My question is to avoid putting in the effort only to have "doh moment" a few minutes after a proud completion ;-)

Blue7
Blue7's picture

Fair comment so to explain my reason for making a DE, it was to reduce the amount of fine spray that enters from the rear when driving in wet conditions with half hood erected.  When this topic first emerged under another thread there was a very amusing and valid comment along the lines of  "why would you buy a Caterham if you have an issue with draughts" Laugh

On Aston Roadsters, you can buy a DE which is removable and there is a specific place in the boot to store it.  I have seen them on Porsches, Morgans (sorry Derek), and other soft tops and they are all removable or deployable at the press of a button.

I suppose that if you want a DE in place permanently then a fixed frame is appropriate but I wouldn't want such a device attached to my car permanently for aesthetic reasons and also I don't mind a cooling draught on a hot summer day ... not to mention all the stick I would get from fellow seveners Redface   

So fair enough, if you want it in place permanently, by all means use a frame ... but bear in mind one important disadvantage ... it will increase weight Biglaugh

Darrenkidney
Darrenkidney's picture

Understand there are some minor weight and optical implications... ok for me. 

Strange thing with the draught .... I have nothing against buffeting and wind in general - nothing new for me. But for the first time I have a really unpleasant airflow across my nose with the seven... makes breathing hard. 

Let's see how invisible I can make a screen inside the rollbar. 

Blue7
Blue7's picture

Given your above comment and looking back at your original post which indicates that you drive without sidescreens, I can't help wondering if the answer to your problem is better wind deflectors rather than a draught excluder?  There was a good post by Nick Woods circa November 2008, in which he explained the inadequacies of the CC wind deflectors and he supplied details of how to make more effective version,  I can't find his original post but I did save some details including the construction method here.