Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel filling issues 1985 Caterham 7

auyt

Apologies if I am rehashing this this thread for the umpteeth time. And my search of the threads didn’t find anything.

it seem to be impossible to fill my 7 with spilling fuel. I can only do it very slowly even with the nozzle just over the edge of of the bend in the hose. I shortened the bottom part of the rubber joiner so the horizontal  part is now with a slope away from the cap but that didn’t help much.

Is there a mod/trick to resolve this or is it just something to live with. 

Does your filler neck have the spring flap inside it ? If so ... is the nozzle going in far enough to open the flap ... it has to be in a fair way.

Do you have the original filler with plastic metro style cap, or a retrofit aluminium aero style filler ?

Some people carry a short length of flexible plastic tube from a fuel filler can to insert far enough to open the flap. 

Some have removed the flap ... with the filler neck off the car.

Have you tried a different garage with alternative design nozzle spouts ?

I have never had this problem with either style of neck/cap.

09F20A42-382A-49A5-AAC7-CC3BBF8EB425.thumb.jpeg.371e674454338a50d6ecc9e5debddbca.jpeg

The filler is the early style, as you can see no restrictions and you can see the top of the tube from the tank.

I have tried a few petrol stations with the same issue. I have reasurched how a bowser works and I may have hit on something, the nozzle air tube needs to be not sitting on the filler neck.

https://www.brainstuffshow.com/videos/gas-nozzle-video.htm

I may need to try putting it in upside down. But your suggestion of a filler novel are worth a thought thank you.

I am sure Im not the only person with this issue on early cars, so I will keep trying.

I need to get some more fuel so I will take some measurements of the nozzle and see what I can come up with.

Goal, keep the fuel going into the tanks and it not shutting the nozzle of until its full , seems simple enough...

I am sure Im not the only person with this issue on early cars, so I will keep trying.

You're certainly not.

On my 1998 Seven I use a combination of not going all the way in, funny angles and a low flow rate. I'd guess that's the most common approach.

The next step for me would be:

... a short length of flexible plastic tube from a fuel filler can to insert far enough to open the flap. 

Jonathan

It looks like there is a 90 degree junction between the pipes from the picture. The newer nozzle will not fit in.

I would look at retrofitting a more modern filler tube (if it fits) to alleviate the problem.

My 1997 car is a pain to fill, as it requires a funny angle and low fill rate. This is with the flap removed.

I bought some fuel today for my mower and had a look at the bowser handle and this type seems to be common here and has the shut off vent in the actual end of the nozzel, so a minor splash back trips it off. I tied the restrictor just fill the can and its not much good either.

Annoying problem back to head scratching *banghead*

As suggested above .... with the long horizontal section inside the filler neck, you are on a loser with current design of fuel pump and nozzle. You should consider if you can replace the filler neck (and cap) to one with the bend immediately inside the fill cap. Can you post a photo of the fill neck inside the boot. Are you based in Australia ?

With my first 7, a '96, I ended up buying a long flexible, plastic funnel and leaving it in the boot. Tried all sorts of ways and invariably ended up with the pump clicking countless times or fuel splashing on the back of the car or my shoes (making pedal control "interesting" at times)

Guys thanks for all you input I will try your suggestions

Yes based in Australia, sadly the top of the tank attached pipe is about 1" below the bottom of the filler so I have the bend as tight as I can get with a downward slope in it to stop the fuel pouring backwards well sort off

I studied the Bowser when I filled to ute ( it is also a pain but it has a long straight section) the one I used has the vacuum shutoff breather in the delivery pipe not outside or just back from the fuel out let. So the slightest bit of fuel even fill it slowly that spills or splashing back over the vacuum pipe shuts it off,

Ill give the upside down method a go but im not confident. And the other thing I will try is a reducer in the filler to stop it running backwards.