Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlamp size for Roadsport SV 1.6 K - 2002

wpqs

Does anyone know the headlamp size fitted as standard for a Roadsport SV 1.6 K supplied as a kit in 2002? Unfortunately my car is in a different country so I can't just go out and measure them. It seems there are 11 inch, 7 inch and 5.75 inch available in black or chrome. Is that correct? Mine are chrome which is something I like.

I need to revert my headlamps from right hand traffic (as in France) to left hand traffic (as in UK). I might take the opportunity to upgrade to LEDs but in other posts there seems to be mixed views on this idea. Let's not repeat the arguments here, but focus on what job involves. My understanding is that you need to buy the LEDs as an entire unit (2) which is set for either LHT or RHT and includes the glass, back part and the internal LED bulb as well as wiring and connector. It is then a case of removing the existing headlight assemblies, replacing them with the new LED assemblies, and then adjusting both lights so that they are correctly aligned. Is this correct? Are the electrical connectors the same? Are there any gotchas?

If I decide to keep with halogens, then I guess that it is just a case of replacing the glass covers (containing the prism the throws the light to the left on dip beam) and then adjusting both lights so that they are correctly aligned. Where is a good place to buy the glass covers? Does anyone have any tips for keeping the whole assembly waterproof? It was 20 years since I did this when building the car so can't remember what I did.

If I can't identify the size of my existing headlights and decide against LEDs, then I will need to buy two entire units (glass, back part, bulbs). Is it better to go for 11 inch, 7 inch and 5.75 inch? What are the pros and cons?

I hope someone can help

As above on size.

There's a lot of experience and advice in the archives, but it's difficult to answer until you're a bit further in deciding what you'd like: better halogen bulbs, better sealed halogen units, LED "bulbs" or whole LED units. So a bit chicken and egg: have you got a way of searching the archives and Guides that works for you?

The factory bulb fitting is H4.

Gotchas... that depends on whether you need to thread any new wiring through the stay.

Do you know what's acceptable to the Maltese regulations and inspections?

Please let me know if you'd like an Assembly Guide and wiring diagram.

Jonathan

I live in LHD land too, had to switch the other way. I believe that whereas UK RHD lights have the usual dip to the side feature, LHD lights do NOT have this and are equally legal in both LHD and RHD countries. Indeed I also believe some "UK" cars are fitted with these "straight beam" headlights from new. 

Like I say. I "believe". Pretty sure though there is no side emphasis with LHD lights as when I switched from RHD lenses to LHD lenses I really missed the kerb being highlighted. Further evidence is that EU visitors to the UK do not need to make any adjustments to their lights for travel on RHD roads.

If what I am saying is true then you have an option to do nothing.

Maybe someone will be along in a second to confirm this, or not.

Anthony

Hi Jonathan,

I will probably go for the simplest and cheapest way of passing the Maltese road worthiness test, but a copy of the Assembly Guide would be helpful. If it's easier for you then send to will dot stott at hotmail dot com

Am I correct in thinking that I just need to change the headlamp glasses and then get a garage to realign the headlamps? I guess that putting some form of sealant on the chrome rims that secure the glass is a reasonable approach to waterproofing. Do you have any suggestion for a suitable sealant?

Kind regards

Will

note my post that crossed with yours above.. "a UK option is do nothing".

and as regards lights that move with the wheels you might like these, which are Day Lights for my local country, but could equally be any sort of driving lights, the headlights are LHD Cibies in original CC holders.

BDR-DRLs.jpg.f085a6a0864e90af03bc6a1cdb629397.jpg

my actual purpose for the DRLs is to throw light round Alpine hairpins in the dead of night when I cannot tell if it is road or an abyss because all is black and my headlights are pointing into the hedge (more likely cliff).

"Am I correct in thinking that I just need to change the headlamp glasses and then get a garage to realign the headlamps?"

You can do it pretty well yourself with a wall. And if you mark the wall with your current lamps you can then reproduce that the other way round with the new ones.

The MOT station that I go to adjusts them using the official testing machine, but that depends on a collaborative attitude!

"I guess that putting some form of sealant on the chrome rims that secure the glass is a reasonable approach to waterproofing. Do you have any suggestion for a suitable sealant?"

I think that most owners don't use anything, as above. And rust inside the bowl doesn't seem to be a common problem.

Jonathan