Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I missed something on my 420R build - doh, insert of some form

CtrMint

HI All,
I think I missed something on my 420R build, I recently spotted the difference on my factory 620R.  As I'm not sure of the part I missed, I thought I'd post, see if the experts can help spot what the part is on the CC parts site. Thanks in advance.

The 620 has what I would call an insert or cover in the mounting boss just forward of the roll bar mount.  Sorry not sure what it's called.  Anyone know what part I missing, thanks

620R.jpg.7522497b38e236cbb04db5075f79c040.jpg

420R

420_0.jpg.72c9c1103b4f7163de676a0d563c6fc0.jpg

Hi Mark, I don't think you have missed anything. My current 7 and my previous had nothing in those holes. I had a couple of spare harness bolts and these plastic caps so fitted those on this car just so it looks a bit finished but they don't do anything. https://caterhamparts.co.uk/other-grommets/241-cap-seat-belt-fixing-shoulder-mounting.html?search_query=Cap&results=141

Edited to say I crossed with Jonathan and I remember now that my car had inertia reel belts when I got it and I think they were used for that.

My 620 doesnt have these bosses .

The early 620 cars were built with a special chassis which was specific to the 620 and left off non essential items , these redundant bosses were one of the modifications made . It looks neater and is lighter without them . 

It was soon realised that producing a special chassis for one model was a hassle so production soon  reverted to the standard chassis .

There you go , a bit of random information .... not a lot of people knew that !*getmecoat*

It's interesting to see that my two chassis differ in terms of paint coverage.  On the 420 the mount is body coloured as seen in the photos.  On the 620 it's not.  The 620 looks normal, just an interesting difference. 

Does your 620 have a different colour chassis?

Obviously Caterham took painting in house and stopped using TSK.  I suspect based on age both of your cars where painted by Caterham not TSK.  But even if that section of the frame wasn't panted it should be the powder coat colour, normally black obviously. 

Your 620 chassis almost looks silver, from the photo.