29 posts / 0 new
Last post
p.mole1
Lotus Elise 250

Anyone got one or driven one? I'm thinking of changing my Caterham for something a bit more comfortable. I don't have a trailer and driving to track days is not great, plus my wife refuses to get in it. I think it would have to be a higher powered version of the Elise as I think the lower powered ones will feel a bit of a damp squib after a Caterham

James B
James B's picture

Interesting...

James

ECR
ECR's picture

Has your wife tried to get into an Elise?

CtrMint
CtrMint's picture

I used to own an Exige Cup 260 before my Exige V6 Cup.  The Elise 250 is pretty close to the Exige Cup 260, an amazing car and a lot of fun.  I would highly recommend one.

Caterham 420R S3 Lotus Toxic Green,  Caterham 620R S3 Exocet Red. Blog: https://www.caterham7diaries.com
Blue7
Blue7's picture

ECR makes a valid point and the video below is for the "big" Lotus Exige Biglaugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTLDP28XTlg

simon_h
simon_h's picture

A better car is the Elise SC with the 2zz supercharged. More fun and revs better. 

The 220 2zr was pegged at 220 for a very good reason found in development, it could get close to the 250 ish they claim now. The later management decided to ignore the issue and hope it doesn’t happen on the road. It is only apparent at sustained high revs, wot and that’s not achievable for long periods on the road. Remember that it’s a road car not a track car. 

Golf Juliet Tango

Getting in & out. I think the elderly Greek gentleman did well. BTW:- do you think they had the seat well forward?

Put the hood up on a 21 and it is equally challenging (but the secret is to pop the hood up and resecure it once seated).

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

p.mole1

Crikey, they look worse than a Caterham for ease of entry. I have never even tried to get in one let alone driven one, although I don't think that will be a problem yet, I've a while to go before a zimmer frame. 

Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

With the hoods on there is not much difference between getting in and out of my 7 and my S1 Elise.  The only time I sat in an S2 Exige I ended up doing a forward roll to get out though that was before I had my Elise and learned the technique.  To get my wife in and out (she's, er, less nimble/flexible than I am) I have to take the roof off the Elise.

pugwash
pugwash's picture

I had an S2 Elise.  Once you have learned the technique it's pretty straight forward.  Top tip is always to slide the seat all the way back to give you max legroom both getting in and getting out.  The roof is really easy to pop on and off so if you need to get a passenger in you can always un clip the bar on that side and roll the roof back while the passenger gets in and then pop it back in, takes seconds.

Having said that, having built the muscle memory to get in and out the driver seat, I always struggled to get out the passenger side!

Golf Juliet Tango
Oh yes, doing the mirror image does feel remarkably odd & is more difficult than one would think.

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty