Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lotus S2 1965 Steering column routing

PeteG

Hi All

Replacing some rough panels in the engine bay and discover the steering column is extremely close to one side of the cut out where it passes through part of the upper frame. Its grooved to take it but its not in the center, Its obviously been like this for decades but while everything is off I`d like to loose sleeve it where it passes through the frame and footwell for around 9", maybe fit a top bearing.  Any thoughts on this?.

Regards Pete20210815_131417.thumb.jpg.0f6afb24020d11423ceef56e948cdc2b.jpg 20210815_131438.thumb.jpg.dc99fc1c07e03339c92fc83463d31641.jpg 20210815_181151.thumb.jpg.de1325ce42c4d37945092429ec7391ac.jpg

Pete,  I used to have a S2 (in early 80's) and as far as I can remember the steering column setup was fine.  It does not have the collapsible section and steering lock of the S3  but I think if you make sure everything is as it should be it will be OK. 

Where are you based?  Perhaps someone with S2 experience could help you 

Pete,

Chassis looks a bit er scabby - have you got it booked in with Arch for a refresh?

What's the plan for the car - we all like a good rebuild thread :-). As others have commented it doesn't appear to have the correct period engine - are you sourcing an original? 

Perhaps contact Martin Phipps our very own achivist who has access to Caterham Cars records - he may be able to identify the original spec?

Ian

Hi Ian

yes, its quite scabby in parts but solid. At the moment I`m getting rid of anything I don't like the looks of and will then rebuild over time. I`ve not had a serious play in it yet, hopefully I`ll get a chance before winter sets in.Looks like its had many hands on it over the years, none of them particularly good. I`ll post pictures as I go if anyones Interested. For interest this is what  was used to support the heater and vents once I got it out!, nasty!  Cheers Pete.  20210813_152219.thumb.jpg.b47af651daf9a4d73fedfc2ef6329edb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...