Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lumenition C460 problems

John Gaines

Lumenition C400 probems

A bit of a long story so please bear with me. 2L blacktop Zetec on Jenvey throttle bodies 
A couple of years ago I was setting off to the classic Le Mans. The car had been running fine. I put the battery on trickle charge over night and when I set off in the morning it ran like a sick dog. hesitating and missing all the way to Newhaven. When I finally arrived it cut out and refused to start. I had a spare set of plugs which I changed and noticed the crank sensor wire was next ti the live off the battery. I moved the cable away and it started and ran like a watch all the way down and back. 
When I returned to the UK the car broke down 20 miles off the ferry. Turned out to be a dead cell in the battery. so I purchased a new battery and alternator as it had stopped charging. 
After a new battery and alternator I can't get the car to run cleanly, it hesitates and misses and will not tick over. It smokes with a whitish plume and the plugs are sooty. I have replaced the following; 
Plugs, coil pack, leads, air temp and water temp senders crank sensor as well as draining the fuel. 
Any suggestions as where to look next would be appreciated. 
I have spoken to Steve at road and race who originally mapped the car ( it ran like a dream) and he has said that the ECU would either work or not. It must be something simple but it is driving me round the bend. The ECU is from 1999 so 20 years old but has always run fine.
Regards, Jon

• Area Representative

20 year 'old tech' ECU - well done for it to last that long. Could be the ECU in terminal failure mode? Is a Lambda sensor fitted as you have not mentioned that?

The white plume could indicate over rich fueling consequently fouling the plugs & causing poor running. Not an expert on ECUs (one will be along shortly)  but what you have related leans toward a problem with engine fuel &/or ignition control.

Thanks Geoff, the lamda sensor was only in while it was mapped. I am going to contact Steve to see if he can check the ecu as I can't see anything else. Might be time for a new unit!£££ It does seem like over fueling as the plugs are fouling up. 

As it started happening at the same time as you fitted a new alternator I'd be wondering if it was related.  Have you checked the voltage with the car running?  Have you disconnected the alternator (run just from the battery for a short while) to see if it runs the same? 

I'd expect it to run fine at 11.7v but I suspect you're zeroing in on your problem here.  I certainly wouldn't be looking at anything the ECU is doing until you've got to the bottom of what's happening with the alternator.

• Area Representative

Something that I forgot to query was the fact that there is no Lambda fitted?

A feed back of data from the Lambda sensor is essential in part for the ECU to offer the correct put or take of fuel along with other inputs - including the TPS.

So with the sensor removed after mapping the ECU could be a little lost with what to do.