Newbie help needed - 310 or 360 or 420

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
John Vine
John Vine's picture

Re #29:

My feedback for you (2 years of 420R):

- I find it underpowered (in a straight line), so would not recommend smaller engine 

Was that a typo or do you really regard the 420 as lacking power?  What are you comparing it with?

JV

Handwheels

If you can do a snowy Stelvio (sounds amazing) with a half hood then that's made my mind up - interesting to see how much cc reduce price by when i 'down grade' to a half hood. II can dust down my old walking/cycling Ortlieb bags to keep my stuff dry.

Thanks

Handwheels

7Up - I need to work out to delete your comment "My feedback for you (2 years of 420R):- I find it underpowered (in a straight line)" - if my son sees that he'll start sending me links to adverts for secondhand 620Rs again!!

You mentioned wishing you had shift lights. Is that for track use, or do you miss them on the road too? This could be something for my winter 2022 upgrade list :)

Cheers, Richard

Handwheels

ScottR400D - I'll be getting a kit so will consider the option you (strongly!) suggest.

Appreciate that other feedback is go with the standard Titan, and then when it needs a rebuild after 2 years I swap it out for a SPC. Based on the 15 pages of comments in the recent Titan thread I'd be working on the assumption that the lifespan of my one (in a mainly road used Seven) would be low end of 'not very long', especially if I do go for a 420. Yet more food for thought...

JonT
JonT's picture

Here's Stelvio. Note the altitude and the snow on the windscreen.

I was back the following year - this time the pass was shut due to the depth of snow. Still only a half hood!

DougBaker
DougBaker's picture

Tonneau covers are more useful than any form of hood in my view.

With only a driver in the car the passenger side tonneau keeps half of the cockpit warm and reduces the amount of wind chill. You can put the unused driver tonneau over your legs in a real downpour to keep your legs dry. Goretex sorts out the rest.

I have used the full hood in the past though not very often, it makes for a more relaxing and less tiring environment when driving long distances in poor weather. Back from a track day in Anglesea to Surrey as an example. While we have taken the roof with us on our European trips I am not sure we ever used it abroad despite rain and snow, far less water than you would expect gets to the passengers once you are moving at a reasonable speed.

Just after taking this photo a passing German offered my wife a lift down the mountain in his Merc, she declined Smile

As to power and engine choice if there are limits to what you can spend then £1000 spent on driver training will do far more good than that same money spent on a extra bhp/torque. 

1.6K Roadsport SV

7Up
7Up's picture

no typo! there are plenty of modern cars which are quicker and i often find it needs more. I really stress here in a straight line!

7Up
7Up's picture

no typo! there are plenty of modern cars which are quicker and i often find it needs more. I really stress here in a straight line!

7Up
7Up's picture

Regards shift lights, I would say mainly track, but occasionally road too. When concentrating ahead, its impossible to look at the rev counter (for me anyway).

JonT
JonT's picture

Are these straight line issues at higher speed? ie where the caterham aerodynamics are really costly and the low weight no longer offers as much advantage? I'm really wondering what cars are faster than a 420 at country road speeds.