Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure - 360R

egnshane

Hi

Today my 360R decided reading oil pressure is over-rated... I hope. 

I set off and noticed the oil pressure bounce around and thought strange and then it went down to just above the red, I think this is the actual 0 point as this is where it rests with the ignition on but the engine off. I checked that oil is present and the engine didn't get hot. 

I guess the most likely culprit is the sender? Any other ideas?

I assume the sensor is the one located right next to the oil filter and is this part: https://caterhamparts.co.uk/senders/3896-oil-pressure-sender-including-sub-loom-s3sv-and-csr.html

Cheers
Shane

• Area Representative

Let’s hope it is the sender as they are notorious for failing. 

About five years ago, my company did some long term diesel engine running tests on oil pressure senders. We found that the cheap Chinese made units were in most cases lasting 20/25 hours and in brief were crap quality.  The more expensive VDO German made lasted for the running test that was 1000 hours. Good luck and hope it is the sender.

Hi Shane,

Mines a supersport R but same configuration as yours and I can confirm that is the sender that I just took off mine and indeed it’s located where you suggested, next to oil filter.

My sender was working great when I removed it, I’ve simply decided to switch to a mechanical oil pressure gauge instead which are more accurate, faster reading and generally considered to be more reliable.

if you haven’t already bought a new sender from CC then perhaps consider going for a mechanical one instead? Price wise a new sender from CC looks to be about £85 which is about the same as going for a mechanical gauge / sender combination from someone like Think Automotive.  Having made the switch I’m really pleased with it and its defo better than original setup.

Alternatively, if you want to stick with your current sender arrangement then send me a PM if you’ve not bought a new one already. We can perhaps work out a deal on my old one if you’d like.

regards,

Tom

I have a Sigma car, but I really don't like the way Caterham only fit an oil gauge. To my mind, the first thing you need is an oil warning light as the chances of spotting the needle drop when presssing on are pretty low.

I fitted an adaptor with the original sender and a 21psi switch. The switch works through the cables provided for oil temperature. Not only is the light much easier to spot, but it provides a back up in case the sender fails, so you aren't left wondering if it is the gauge or the oil pump. Also, there is no damping in a switch/bulb set up, so if you are getting oil surge for short periods on track, the light comes on when the gauge might not move.

Duncan

I expect it is a 220 ohm resistor but it is hard to read the markings (Red Red Brown) with the corrosion. It doesn't measure anywhere near that value although i expect the corrosion has killed it.

I think the loom is only available with the sensor so people may want to repair them. The connectors are all waterproofed but the way the heatshrink is done is poor. I assume this is a mod Caterham has done to a standard loom from somewhere. 

Made a little diagram: 

loom.png.d8b75b2fb8d9fdc719fabd7051801c2c.png