Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R300 K clutch cable or......

PG Tips

Hi all. First post here, not an excuse I know, but be nice and all that *blabla*

I purchased my R300 K last weekend from Lee and I absolutely love the thing..bar one thing.. the clutch is very heavy!  Now I'm quite..aheam well build and leg strength is ok, but after few hours drive it gets a bit annoying.

So the reason of my post, I know probably by changing the cable or even maybe trying to route the cable differently might solve the issue, but my main question is,  has anyone converted the cable system with a hydraulic system? Is there such a kit available or do I need to fabricate something. Surely should be doable? 

Your thoughts?

When I bought my 2004 K series, the clutch had already been converted to hydraulic, (possibly with a view to avoiding cable failure as well as easier operation..?).

At Cadwell a couple of years ago, the linkage between the slave cylinder and clutch plate snapped..!  (Red flags and recovery vehicle..!)...  *irked*

I took the opportunity to revert to cable and it has been much better since and seems easier to use.

My 2002 1.8 VVC k-series was born with an hydraulic clutch. It was heavy and nasty. Spare parts were a stupid price. Changed it to cable operation ... which took about 20 minutes. Now very nice and easy to use. Much more controllable.

My old K series had a cable clutch, always seemed very heavy from the day I bought it (secondhand). Some years later after a gear box rebuild I replaced the cable, it was like night and day, much lighter. I would recommend replacing the cable, making sure it's routed as smooth as possible. Maybe think about going hydraulic if this doesn't work.

How are we doing?

If you'd like to compare clutch pedal action and force I suggest telling us where you are... there are some very helpful Members around. You might be able to try several Sevens at an Area Meeting.

Most of the parts come from elsewhere but there are two useful sources of information as well as the parts: Caterham Parts and Redline

And would you like that Assembly Guide?

Jonathan

Jonathans suggestion of an area meeting is a good one, start there to find out what is possible.

I have successfully drilled an extra hole in a clutch pedal to re position the attachment point for a cable setup. This noticeably reduced pedal effort for a lady driver. The entry through the pedal box is made more acute but it operated well. It only needed a small repositioning for quite a big effect ...