Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Duratec: thermostatic sandwich plate for oil cooler

John Vine

That's an interesting idea --  bit of lateral thinking there!  However, I've already got a thermostatic plate ready to go, so maybe I'll try fitting that first and see what it does for temps.  Then, if they're still on the low side, I'll go with your suggestion.

From what specs I've managed to find, the thermostat opens at 80C, which seems about right to mitigate over-cooling.  Below 80C, presumably there's still some oil flow to the cooler?  If the stat closed completely below 80C, I imagine there'd be a substantial pressure drop when it did open?

JV

I have tried the Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate on several duratec"d Caterhams.  In my experience they stay open once the wax thermostat has opened the valve, then the oil temps drop too low and it can pull down the whole engine temps in cold weather.  I recall return trips back from south coast ferry ports late at night the oil and water temps were pulled down below 40C.  I think that pendennis has hit the nail on the head dont run an oil cooler unless your racing.  IMO the excess oil temps sometimes seen when cruising at 4500rpm on say motorways with a wet sumped engine is due to windage and I would like to try running with no oil cooler and an apollo tank with the idea that there may be a build up of froth/foam within the block & sump causing drag& friction with the result excess heat.

Interesting feedback -- thanks, chaps. 

If I were to remove the plate and cooler altogether, what oil temps might I expect on the road in ambient temps of say 35C, or on track?

ETA:  Or is covering the cooler the simplest way forward?  (That way, I'd still have a cooler if I needed it.)

JV

If you already have the cooler the best way is simply to block it off with some foil tape and only open it up if your oil temps are getting above 100C.  Sorry to say that the Thermostatic sandwich plate is useless in our installation.  Could be that the oil pressure is too much for the detent on the spring within the stat to overcome and close once opened, I dont know .

Thanks, Rob.  That's what I'll do for now.

Looking at the Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate, it seems that the cooler-circuit bypass is open when the oil is cold, and gradually closes (overcoming the spring) as the temperature rises and the wax element expands. Are you saying that, once closed, the bypass is then forced open again (overcoming the expanded wax element) by high oil pressure?

JV

Interesting, there will be arguments whether it should go in front or behind water radiator but suspect CC put it there as it suits their application. Personally I would like it behind the rad. 

Obviously your engine oil is important but generally the Duratec likes water and oil at 90*C

Problem is the fins never are in same orientation and unless they are and at same pitch your creating turbulent air at this point which ultimately means the air won't flow anywhere near as good as it would be designed for 'in free air'

Always a compromise and that's why mine is behind in free air with a cool ducted air path

merry Xmas

Just tested the blanking plate over a 30-mile route, ambient temp 8-10C.  Oil now 85-90C, water (same gauge) about 80C or perhaps a little less.  I was expecting the water temp to be a bit higher.  Can anyone tell me what thermostat my car (2008 R400D) is likely to have?  (I've not yet had cause to delve and find out.)

JV

I refer to a thermostat switch (2 wire) which should have temperature range on side of brass body. 

Are you after sender or thermostat? That link is for a sender! 

A sender is a device (sensor) for measurement of temperature, not a switch so won't control temperature of engine.