Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Duratec wet-sump: measuring oil temperature

John Vine

Your advice please, folks... My R400D has the standard dash (that is, non-Stack), with no oil temp gauge. I'd like an oil temp reading, so I'm considering wiring a temp sender via a two-way switch to the water temp gauge, just like I did from the Apollo on my old Supersport K. Where should I fit the sender, and which sender should I use? I was thinking of fitting one of these to the sump drain-plug. Would that work? Or is there a better way?

(Edited 13Jul18 to fix broken link.)

JV

Thanks mic. Would the sender I referred to above be OK? If so, presumably I could drill out and tap the existing plug? Is the plug a standard Ford item (Mondeo?) or a special CC part? Do you know what the sender thread is? ETA: Is this the plug I need?

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 3 Apr 2012 21:44:55

Edited 13Jul18 to fix broken link

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE.... Job done. It works really well, and gives a much better indication of when the oil's ready for a bean donation. For those that might want to do the same thing, I used these parts: 1x 38D011A ready-tapped drain plug (here) 1x 71167 (water) temp sender (here) 1x 636H/2+U282 dipswitch (here) plus assorted wires and connectors

JV

Edited 13Jul18 to fix broken links