Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400K noise control....

GPBox

Hi all, delighted to have just upgraded to a R400K...am a tad concerned about the noise level for track days.

realise this is both an exhaust and an induction noise issue..

It's a 'standard' R400K setup Roller barrels and a dome/foam air filter..and exhaust is a re-packable system.

Whats the collective advice on getting to the 96-98db target ?..or do I need to look for 'noisy' TD's now ?

Cheers all, Graham

• Leadership Team

For the induction the ideal situation is to fit the R500 airbox kit, this was a £1000 option from Caterham although no longer available. They were made by Reverie so you can buy all the bits (branded Reverie) to assemble what you need yourself, I think the cost is around £650 if you go for everything. They do appear secondhand occasionally although they're pretty rare.

Stu.

I have a 100mm inlet Bernard Scouse airbox on my +200BHP K-car and the R500 rear exit exhaust system.

We have a strict 95dB noise limit on my local circuit. I have never had any issues at all, so it can be done.

A carbon airbox may not be the best as it will not be as "dead" as GRP. This can be dealt with though and as I have posted elsewhere I have foam on the inside of my airbox which reduces the level around 4dB (!)

Passing static is easy if you don’t declare the true rpm limit ...

your problem will be drive-by if you drive by exploiting its true potential

airbox and bigger exhaust even with rear exist will get you to 96-98dB... at the loss of ultimate performance

Before spending money on silencing try a noise-day track event ... you won’t go back

spend a bit of time on set-up and put some slicks on ... the R400K is such a sweet spot ... well done