Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500D Immobiliser

SKC

Hi All,

Got an R500D in at the moment.  These cars feature keyless ignition, just an immobiliser.

Appear to be having an issue now to get the immobiliser to turn off, does anyone know if there is a battery in the immobiliser fob that may have gone flat?

Failing this has anyone else experienced this and if so what's the fix please.

Regards

SKC.

• Leadership Team

That's an old Vecta key, I believe, Jonathan.  My R500D (only a couple of years newer than the one that Stuart is talking about) has the Toad system which utilises the battery-less oval-shaped transponder that many of us are familiar with.

I've sent Stuart a BM simply because it's sometimes best to share 'security system knowledge' away from public gaze...  A tricky one as I'm a great believer in the use of BC to share experience and knowledge!

James

• Leadership Team

However...  here's a stock photo of the Toad/Sterling Exel immobiliser system showing the two oval/ovoid/pearl/lozenge shaped fobs:

Toad.jpg.6693880a7fee5e45739906a25bede7f7.jpg

The black plastic box is encased within the metal cover and, on my R500D at least, is mounted to the cabin (inside) surface of the front upper bulkhead in the passenger area.  The circular wire loop is the part that the fob/transponder has to pass through  in order for the immobililser to be deactivated.  On my R500 (keyless) this loop is positioned in the upper front area of the centre console but I know that on many other cars it is loosely coiled around the steering column mounted ignition key area so that the fob (attached to the key) passes through the loop when the key-on position is selected.

James

I've got an email from Caterham somewhere giving instructions on how to program the key as they can forget how to work !

If that is of any use to you let me have details and I will send.

(Mine certainly  looks the same and is a 2009 R500 D)

Regards,

Ian.

• 1 year later...