Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 K Emissions. HC 1,000ppm Solved again - several years later.

anthonym

2019 Thread: 2023 Update is here https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/comment/2423380#comment-2423380

Previous title:

TPS and Emerald software, emissions. HC 1,000ppm NO LONGER Solved

YThis thread has morphed in to an adventure in Emerald K6 sofware in the context of running rich with the emissions test fail at 20 times the required maximum: meaning HC in excess of 2,000ppm required 100ppm)

There are two thrusts of enquiry. (1) diagnose the cause(s) (2) regardless of 1, alter the ECU mapping to fix the over rich running. 

Clearly 1 would be ideal, but 2 gets the car back on the road, hopefully with 1 to follow. 

TPS is now reset to the original 0.88 

anthony

https://carfromjapan.com/article/car-maintenance/car-running-rich-things-you-should-know/amp/

Notes:

Causes of running rich 

(EDIT THE CAUSE WAS: The throttle bodies, No 3 40% reduced airflow as measured with airflow meter at idle. - new Titan TBs now installed) Nos 1,2,4 were at 5cfm and No 3 was at 3cfm. Contributing in very minor ways also very old corroded TPS (target cross in Emerald live adjustments jumping all over the place) and spark plugs not tightened enough to compress compression washers (high pitched whistle evident).

Defect in the oxygen sensor:

We think it is ok, but I plan to replace it anyway (not least as it came from a scrap yard years ago while touring)

Defective mass airflow sensor - n/a
Dirty/clogged air filter - brand new.
Blocked open injectors - plan to clean or replace
Damaged engine coolant temperature sensor - we have two and both show the same. 
Retrofitted cooling system - n/a

Cyl No 3 has shown an oily plug for some time.

The lamda sensor is fitted only to No 4 primary.

My original opening post :

R500K TPS is it still 0.45 ohms using Emerald K6?

as per here: http://www.bikerhouse.com/testsite/minister2011/support/roller_barrel_setup_k-seriesr.php

mine was showing 0.88 but I have set it back to 0.45/0.44 (it keeps varying).

Anthony

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing though:

It says 0.45 ohm. It could also be 0.45V which is how the base map I got from SBD was set up. I have altered it to 0.22V and adjusted the load sides to be much more progressive. Being a bit anal on getting the load sides right has transformed the drivability of the car from somewhat rough at low load to being better than my Skoda Fabia (!).

With an Emerald you tend to set the TPS using the software - Setup -> Throttle Position Sensor. Then follow the instructions on screen (but basically hit Ok and then apply full throttle and then done, and it logs closed and open positions - all with engine not running).

I can't f ing believe it - after over an hour searching, I have found the blister packed USB to RS232 adapter bought from Emerald some years ago, it was exactly where I thought it was, right in front of me on the book shelf, but sideways on so I didn't recognise/see it. grrr!

and upon opening I find a special printed sheet of Emerald instructions; nice.

COM7   .. so that was easy, plugged it in to the Emerald, switched ignition on and there is all the data. I even found a TPS section. 

ok so now I have to do this: 

With an Emerald you tend to set the TPS using the software - Setup -> Throttle Position Sensor. Then follow the instructions on screen (but basically hit Ok and then apply full throttle and then done, and it logs closed and open positions - all with engine not running).

I like the engine not running part. Just have to get some internet down there; back shortly

I don't tend to, but you could have a play later on - from memory they auto-set the fuel cut-off point and something else... if you are just trying to get things set up for the first time I'd leave them for now and revisit those settings separately later on.

"device already open" comm 7 (there are no others) no longer connects to ecu - any idea? I have set the TPS so I could just leave it - this ecu has been set up for ages ..since 2014 by the two steves, I am just adjusting my roller barrels etc - the etc being the TPS though hopefully that is now done 

I would just like to know which map I am running on, but hey, she works.

http://www.canscale.com/truck-scale-software/scale-display/help/serial_port_already_open.htm

did that - ecu connected , all maps blank.. oops

ok so this is scary. so now I have opened the file I saved before com 7 went missing, and ecu is connected after disabling serial mouse per above linky. 

I have connected the map change switch (potentiometer type) and can switch between 1 2 3 maps, red, green, yellow, the red no 2 is a bit worrying because it is red, but..stop 

so, engine starts (phew) looks like tickover is 1250, a bit quick. nice to have an accurate figure. 

must halt for now, thank you for your help phil which has made all this possible :-)

anthony

Hi Antony,

Ah – if it is actually 450ohms rather than 0.45ohms then it would make much more sense.

68 to 864 is ok.  That relates to 0.33-4.22volts.  If you wanted to be really fussy you could rotate the TPS slightly so you have a higher starting value, e.g. watch the value on screen and rotate the TPS (if there is enough adjustment) so the starting number is ~110.  That would centralise the TPS range on the throttle.

Best regards,

Karl

Emerald

posted with permission.

It will make absolutely no change to move the pot to centralise it. As long as you don't reach the outer extremities you're OK.

In fact you have a chance to move it slightly towards the centre if it stops working if you leave it as it is.

um.. I have "achieved"  106 - 881 (wouldn't swear to the second, can I look it up now I am disconnected? This involved a whole season's worth of getting in and out of the cockpit..

and the resistance is now 0.59k ohms