Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing Thermostat in 2001 superlight 1.6 K series

C7 Owl

I need to replace thermostat on my 1.6 K series. Does anyone have a how to guide or workshop manual they could share? Any tips on what to watch out for and easiest route to remove old part? First time working on the caterham so a bit in dark.

Thanks

Yes seen the stuff on filling cooling system. Planning to do the 3mm hole, (although my memory of threads was 2mm). Will review those again. Couldn't find any on exact location in 1.6 k and how to take off thermostat to replace. Some mention of it being tricky.

Well had an airlock when filling. Drained then refilled with front elevated and screw open on radiator. Couldn't get it to settle. Thermostat seemed most likely and cheapest part of system to replace. Thought it should be do-able job for me to do.

Mind you dont cross thread the bolt when refitting. It holds the dipstick and thermostat housing. Tricky getting access on an SV. Must be night on impossible on an S3 ! 3mm for the hole in the backplate, but do make sure it is at the top when fitted

• 1 year later...
Undo the 3 bolts, remove the cover and replace the thermostat. Access can be tricky. Alternatively, undo the single bolt that holds the dipstick tube and thermostat and pull thermostat towards rear of car to do it on the bench. Careful not to cross thread this single bolt when refitting