Click here if you are having website access problems ×

seats and wheel nuts for 1989 de-deon super sprint

madmaninshed

Hi all, Back after a five year break without a Caterham. We have an '89 Supersprint Roger King 1800, and the older seats (without headrests) slope back a bit too much for comfort.  Does anyone know if modern leather or cloth seats will fit this car please?.  The standard roll over bar on this model is listed as being too low for a softbits half hood.  I wonder if the seats may slope back to give sufficient headroom with the standard  hood up? Any thoughts much appreciated.  Also, the chrome wheel nuts on the car are tatty. I looked on line for "Shiny Nuts" who used to do stainless ones, but think they must have ceased trading.  Does anyone else do similar wheel nuts  please? My wheels are the original alloys.

Welcome back.

I have the 1988 Assembly Guide. If you'd like a copy please send me a Private Message with your email address and details of the Seven.

Both Soft Bits for Sevens and Oxted/Thundersport might make custom hoods which could give you other options. And both offer a Club discount.

Jonathan

I fitted an FIA bar on my 89 de dion. Do you have the type with damper tops showing like a live axle or the enclosed like the current style?

My seats had headrest slots with covers on them . I took those out and fitted MG style ones .

Wheels nuts , talk to Redline

The seats in my '87 Supersprint are presumably the same as yours and slopped back too far so I fitted spacers under the rear mountings which made a big difference.

It was a while ago and I can't remember how big the spacer was but I'm sure it was less than an inch. Obviously it does raise the height of the seat a bit but that was fine for me being a short arse.

• Area Representative

,I had an 89 De Dion model, totally understand what you mean about the seats.

I tried the spacers under the rear mountings , worked very well! I came across a pair of the original S type seats for sale, ( Not to be confused with the current  “S “ types), and they are the most comfortable seats I have ever come across for the 7 !  If you could find some , I would seriously consider it. 

Kingsley. 

Welcome back,

You may have already tried these in your previous car but if not give the Tillets try - great support very comfy on longer runs easy to dry the passenger seat out to after taking someone for their first 'Lowflying expirience' *thumbup* 

Very easy to adjust with the plastic washers too.

SWMBO loves them and regulaly nods off mid blat..... I can soon wake here though *hehe* 

The race teams and dealers such as PT, GP 7's, Sevens and classic might be a good place to start for whichever seats you opt for.

Sorry for the delay - thanks so much for your replies. I had forgotten just how helpful you all are *clap* I will call Redline for the wheel nuts, and will check the seats for adjusters, and if non-adjustable, will use spacers to start with.  Our French registration just arrived, and the plates are ready to fit.  The damper tops protrude through the boot cover, showing like a live axle..  They are new Spax adjustables, which should be great for the sometimes bumpy roads in Charentes.  When the car arrived, it had 30 psi in the tyres.  It's much more compliant with 18 !!  I wonder how tight the wheel nuts are......I am amazed at the performance from the 1800 engine.  It was quite a surprise.  It's time to experiment with the dampers.  Thanks again.