Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma 150 - possible stuffed immobiliser?

Bone Rat

Hi to all,

I was wondering if I could pick some brains about what is 'normal'. I've got a 2011 SIgma 150 Roadsport which I tend to look after myself. Cambelt done professionally but all servicing is in house. Up to now all has been fine. 

In September I was driving along the A48 at Bridgend when the car just stopped running when I stopped at one of the major roundabouts. Not good being stuck in the outside lane of a fast A road. Pushed to the side and waited for the RAC. The engine would turn over, fire for about a second but not run. There was a spark, the fuel pump primes, the TPS was fine. After a few hours by the side of the road - a big thank you to Dave in Porthcawl for checking up on me, I got home on a flat bed.

Since then have checked over repeatedly, it turns over, fires but doesn't run for more than 1 -2 sec. Have browsed the site and changed TPS and lambda to no effect. Earths cleaned, battery fully charged, new plugs 2 years ago (3k miles), inertia wotsit checked & bypassed.

Checking the immobiliser today, it's the Sterling type with the dongle and loop around the lock. The LED does not illuminate at rest at all, on turning the key to the power on position it gives 1 flash then nothing, turning off it gives 1 flash then nothing at all. There is no steady light when in the starting position or flashing LED when the key is removed.

I was just wondering if the collective experience of the elders would be that it's not working correctly and stuffed. If so any suggestions about what to do or where to go, would this be a job for a local electrician to  sort? I am game to remove one after many years of dealing with 1970s Fiat electrics! 

Many thanks 

Andy

I can't help think the immobiliser is fine if it primes and runs for a few seconds. The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU, it wont run is the engine isn't running.  So it makes me think the MBE isn't happy the engine is running.

Have you connected it to EasyMap to see whats going on?

I could be wrong about the immobiliser.

I owned a 2011 150 Sigma, and I remember a fault which would cause the engine to die, which was caused by the speed sensor.  The sensor would fail, kill a fuse and that would take the permanent supply out from the engine and tacho.   Check your fuses, if you one blown and it keeps blowing disconnect your speed sensor and try again.  

Hi, 

Yes, checked the various threads on the forum, unfortunately it seems a common set of symptoms. So far have a new lambda sensor as that had been in 10 years and was covered in soot. No joy. 

Then replaced the TPS and the small harness (it was on offer), again no joy.

Yesterday, tried looking at the fuel pump and wiring, have cleaned the earths in the engine bay, the plug at the fuel pump looked fine with clean contacts, fuses are fine. It's odd in that the pump primes, it turns over readily enough, fires, runs for a few seconds, just as if it's on the priming pressure and dies.

The mass of other connections seem buried above the gearbox and would tax a gynaecologist to get to, at least via the engine bay 

The immobiliser on my Sigma did fail several years ago - had an auto electrician diagnose it - the red LED was not doing what it normally did which prompted me to investigate this. From memory however the car would not turn over - completely dead so probably not the immobiliser! 

The other problem I had once which behave in a similar way to what you describe is a damaged wire to the crank sensor?

Good luck

The immobiliser on my Sigma did fail several years ago - had an auto electrician diagnose it - the red LED was not doing what it normally did which prompted me to investigate this. From memory however the car would not turn over - completely dead so probably not the immobiliser! 

The other problem I had once which behave in a similar way to what you describe is a damaged wire to the crank sensor?

Good luck

Could it be the fuel pump? It sounds like the immobiliser is working as the pump primes and the engine turns over which it won't if the immobiliser hasn't de-activated itself.

I don't know but guess there is a pressure switch in the pump that causes it to run when needed to boost the pressure back up again and it sounds like that isn't happening.

Just a thought.....

Ivan

I'm not familiar with the Sigma engine or ECU (I'm a K and D man), but does this ECU log the standard error codes?  If so, would a code scanner not indicate the problem?

Also, when trying to start and after the pump has been primed, what tells this ECU that the crank is turning and to turn the pump on?  I've always understood that the crank sensor did this (it does in the K).  If so, your symptoms certainly suggest a problem with the crank sensor signal.  Either it's not being sent, or not being received.

JV

Hi John,

As far as I'm aware the Sigma can't be read by the usual fault scanner as it's a locked MBE unit. Tried when I first bought it years ago. I've had to use a generic one on my previous TT as this was plagued by emission code errors. 

I've got the Easimap software as the 150 needs throttle body balancing and TPS setting on a regular basis. This gives a live reading of engine parameters but no codes appear stored (I think). Can't say I'm that familiar with the detailed use of it though

Andy

Hi Andy 

If it runs for a few seconds, there should be some data coming from the MBE which shows the reason.  

If you connect the EasyMap software, add all the data panels so everything possible is being logged, try and start it, then save the data.   The data files could then be shared.  

I still have some data files from my 150 which I could compare your car with, happy to look at the data to see if there is anything obvious. 

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

Way back in 2011 when I built my 150 Sigma I had the same issue on initial startup. Caterham fixed it at the PBC by balancing the throttle bodies and then setting the TPS to 1.04. They assured me that was all they did! I now do this every year!!

Sorry you are having that problem. 

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I thought I'd update everyone with progress, I hate threads being left up in the air and not resolved, hopefully this will help someone else.

So far I'd replaced the TPS, the little harness to it, the lambda sensor and the crankcase sensor. No joy. The only problem I could see was the malfunctioning immobiliser LED. So off it went to Eric in Millwood.

have spoken to Eric and it was 2 things.

The main problem was caused by a failure of the barometric sensor, this is apparently very rare and was detected a little by luck as it was disconnected. The 150 has it mounted on the air filter back plate, possibly it's a bit exposed. He did say he hadn't come across this before.

In addition to this the fuse to the immobiliser had also blown which meant it would not run once it did fire. Unfortunately this is also hidden and is not part of the usual fusebox but part of the loom.

Feel a little more reassured that this was not a simple problem that I should have been able to fix.

Collecting it in a few weeks - will be getting aeroscreen fitted, brass monkey for co-driver for return trip.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions 

Andy