Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sikaflex 221 or 252??

EFA

Just to throw in my thoughts.

I used 221 to stick the wings and they are still stuck solid (also have work experience of it holdin up in a harsh atmospheric environment.

Lately I bought the tigerseal as there was no sika available and it seems good too. My only comment about the tigerseal is that its anti-sag properties aren't so good.

Terostat 9220, had the guy from henkel in to advise on bonding two metal elements together and this is what he recommended. Sampled OK but went for the sika alternative

There, that covers everything so far 😬

Andy

SV in Aztec Orange 'n' Black.

Well, if we're also talking alternatives (Which wasn't the question of the OP) there's 3M 4200. Which is an adhesive sealant, but sticks so strong, I've seen a wooden toerail have to be destroyed to remove it, after 4200 was used to atatch it.

Oh, and Grubbster's correct 292 is bloody strong too. *eek*

There's a millon alternatives.

Edited by - Mickrick on 22 Dec 2009 22:04:21

Arnie

292 is "structural bonding adhesive sealant"

291 is "adhesive sealant"

290 is "caulking"

You want 291 for sticking the wings on. 292 is fine but not if you ever want to get them off again. It's 290 you want for filling in gaps with a nice finish - it will not aerate like 291 and you'll get a really nice finish. With all 3 products, you can sand with wet or dry paper and paint over if you're really fussy about the finish. Again, with all three, you should ideally use the relevant sikaflex primer, especially if you're sticking to metal.

Colour = Black in 290 and 291. White in all 3.

If you need a supplier contact then please e-mail me or I can send you some up if you prefer.

Stuart

EFA, to get a nice neat finish, use masking tape, then as soon as you've gunned it in, spit on your finger, and wipe out the excess, leaving a nice smooth fillet/finish.

Then remove the masking tape before it starts to skin over. Pull the tape towards the fillet, to avoid any stringy bits going onto the area you've masked.

Any flat areas, you can smooth with a wet potato. *wink*

290 is quite runny.

Edited by - Mickrick on 23 Dec 2009 10:27:52

• 3 years later...

I've been trying to stick ABS plastic wings on, using Sikaflex EBT, but even after 3 days the wings just peel off.

The plastic is very smooth, with an oily surface. I've roughed this up with sandpaper and de-greased with brake cleaner, but the Sika still won't hold.

Will Sikaflex 292 do the job?

Thanks,

Clive.

292 might be ok if they are ABS

Areas of Application

Sikaflex®-292 is suitable for structural joints in marine constructions which will be subjected to high dynamic stresses. Suitable metals, particularly aluminum (including anodized finishes), metal primers and paint coatings (2-c systems), or ceramic materials, plastics such as GRP (unsaturated polyester resin), ABS, etc. Clear plastics and mineral glass should not be bonded with Sikaflex®-292.

This product is suitable for professional experienced users only. Test with actual substrates and conditions have to be performed to ensure adhesion and material compatibility.

• 6 years later...
  • Area Representative

Tiger Seal - cheaper than equivalents but just as effective. Sticks like the preverbial. 

Used to attach carbon cycle wings six years & 18000 miles ago no problems as yet.

https://www.u-pol.com/uk/en-uk/product/tiger-sealtm/adhesives-sealants-plastic-repairs/adhesive-sealants/tiger-seal-polyurethane-sealant-and-adhesive#.XFxb5tL7Spo

• Area Representative