Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is Sikaflex 221 still the preferred option?

Golf Juliet Tango

There are probably more recommendations in the archives for Sikaflex 221 and Tiger Seal than for anything else. 

But here's one for 291.

I'm not aware of a comparative trial.

And I suspect that the preparation of the stay and wing and the way that the stuff is applied may be more important than the precise properties of the adhesive. After losing two wings I now make a sausage roll rather than a sandwich.

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Tiger is a good alternative. But if you search sites such as Tool Station or Screwfix there is an abundance of adhesive sealants up to the job & the equal of Sikaflex.

Preparation is the key to bonding. This may sound agricultural but the powder coated surface needs to be cross cut with the edge of a triangular file enough to form a gripping surface. Then a thorough de greasing before laying the adhesive. Use the adhesive straight out of the tube, no spout, to lay down a good bed. Lightly abrading the wing contact surface also helps. 

If you choose to use mechanical fittings then a bed of good quality (black) silicone will reduce vibration & subsequent cracking around the fasteners. The self adhesive foam strip that CC advocates will not last long when subjected to use on the road. Especially rain.

Used Tiger on my cycle wings in early 2013. Still going strong 8 years & 21,000 miles later. That's done it !!

• Support Team

Previous owner had tried to use some bolts on one of my wings but they rusted and the wing fell off (after going over a curb at Stowe corner, luckily just before the pit entry), so used some Tiger Seal which seems to have held up very well for the last year or so.  Still securely stuck down - its nasty stuff though, so wear gloves to apply it.

However, the big head approach in the linked to threat looks great.  Will be doing that next time.

"Preparation is the key to bonding. This may sound agricultural but the powder coated surface needs to be cross cut with the edge of a triangular file enough to form a gripping surface. Then a thorough de greasing before laying the adhesive. Use the adhesive straight out of the tube, no spout, to lay down a good bed. Lightly abrading the wing contact surface also helps."

I agree that preparation is crucial (and appreciated the pun!).

That sounds as if you use a sandwich of adhesive between the wing and the stay rather than a sausage roll around the stay. Is that right?

Thanks

Jonathan

• Area Representative

It was the "sausage roll" approach which failed on my car Jonathan. It looks like the wing was in place and silicone applied around the stanchion.

But whether a layer between wing and stanchion is sufficient, I don't know. (i.e. your "sandwich" style).

"It was the "sausage roll" approach which failed on my car It looks like the wing was in place and silicone applied around the stanchion."

I can't make out from the photograph... what separated? Was the silicone only around the underside of the stay and then up to the wing, or all around the stay (a sausage roll)?

And had the paint been removed from the stay?

Thanks

Jonathan

• Area Representative

JK - GJT  When pressing the wing firmly on to the bead of adhesive there will be enough excess to produce a 'wrap round' of the stay.

Wearing disposable gloves is a must! Copious amounts of spit on the first finger helps to create the 'wrap round'. Just do not touch with the lips !!