Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S3 supersport 2002 start problem

Hanns Per

after I changed the no longer working czech starter to the Brise starter I have the following issue. The engine does not start as it used to be . I have to press the accelerator pedal a few mm to make that the engine start to run.  Normally the engine started to run without engaging the accellerator pedal. I assume the engine does not get the initial fuel injection?! thks for any feedback Hanns Per

As Ian says above, plus I did some detailed investigations a couple of years back and proved that Brise starter can cause this problem even with a good battery. I'm sure Jonathan will be able to find the article! Basically the current surge as the motor engage causes a transient voltage drop, only for A fraction of a second, but low enough to be picked up on the ECU's "Ignition Sense" terminal as though you had briefly switched the ignition off. The ECU then recycles the Idle Air Control Valve ready for the next start. During this recycle the IACV can't manage the idle and so you need throttle to keep the engine running. Once the recycle is complete the engine idles normally. Maybe worth trying a new battery but in the case I looked at the only cure was to switch away from Brise I'm afraid. The standard Magneton starter produces less of of a voltage drop for a shorter time but it's still marginal, so with a low battery you can see the same issue.