Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter motor problems 1700 Crossflow

DavidAtkins

So here is my first post ! I've had the Caterham for a couple of months now and have an issue with the starter motor - maybe. From cold, no problem, it turns over as normal. Restarting from hot - sometimes nothing. The starter motor and the solenoid are new as I guess the po had issues too. If anyone can shed any light on this for me i would be really grateful. Thanks. 

As Elie said if you're just getting silence when you turn the key check all connections for tightness or rust. You could try to put a heat shield around the starter as can get hot from the exhaust manifold on that side. If it's cranking but not firing check dizzy cap and all leads, coil etc. Check your tappets, valve clearances, make sure they're not too tight. If it's a mechanical fuel pump check that's working ok, maybe look at a facet pump upgrade if so. Could be a carb issue also. Just remember when you're in the cold garage and trying all sorts of different remedies and nothing is working...it's all part of the fun of ownership.

When you say 'sometimes nothing' do you mean not even any click from the solenoid?  If that is the case then it is either the ignition switch or the solenoid (or the wiring between them).  Just because the solenoid is new does not mean it is not faulty.  There have been a lot of repo parts on the market that are not that good!

Unless I'm very confused they are on the same side of the engine and that side does get very hot. Wrapping the exhaust manifold will get the temperature down but if you do make sure you take your time and do it properly, can make things dangerously worse if not done well.

Check the tightness of the connections on the starter. There is a small spade connector that often seems to swell when warm and doesnt then excite the solenoid. A gentle squeeze with pliers so it a tight fit will sort it- you dont need to ask how I know