Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toyo Proxes R888R running direction

RogerB

I have just received two new R888Rs for the rear of my car and if I fit them as per the inside/outside markings it would appear that the right tyre is running in the wrong direction. I have questioned this with mytyres please see their response:-

Re: RD 32165655 UK1015613
ID
Ivana Dragisic <ivana.dragisic@delti.com>

Reply|
Today, 08:23
You

ATT00001.txt315 bytes

2 attachments (2 MB) Download all 
Save all to OneDrive - Personal
Dear Mr Beecroft,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We would like to inform you that Toyo Proxes R888R is an asymmetric tyre so it can be used in any position on the vehicle. It is very important however, to follow such wording as 'inside' and 'outside' on the tyre's sidewall to ensure that the tyre is fitted 'the right way round.

It simply doesn't make sense to me. Your thoughts please.

Roger.

Thank you for your responses. Further to these and another from mytyres I have now fitted them.

See latest response from mytyres giving a fuller explanation. I still think it doesn't make sense having the tread running in opposite directions, however lets see how they work!

'We would like to inform you that if the tread pattern seems to have a different orientation on either side of the car, this will not change anything with the overall performance of the tyre. There will be no problem if the grooves on one side of the car point upwards and on the other side downwards, after you fit these asymmetric tyres. The long, steep grooves on the outer shoulder of the tyres are designed to direct as much water as possible to the outside via the shortest way and therefore in shortest possible time. These tyres are designed in such a way that the water can be drained in the direction of the shoulder, to the outside, as well as in direction of the deep circumference grooves. The angle in which they run has no impact on the aquaplaning performance and the driving comfort of the tyre. '

Roger.