Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What camshaft 310R?

Dr. Evil

Anybody know what camshaft is used for the 310R?  Anybody measured the lobe lift?

virtually no public domain knowledge on the sigma engine tuning compared to the K-series.

I measured the lift on the 125 BHP TiVCT when I changed the belts a while ago and it was 8.9mm IN and EX.  Camshaft was marked Ford 300610E

my guess is that Caterham use piper cams for the upgrade to 152BHP, but it is noted 'not suitable for EU spec', which I think means not homologated, so I might go my own way when time allows

https://www.pipercams.co.uk/Camshafts-Car/Make-Ford/Engine-FORD-SIGMA-1.6-ti-vct/

Hi Dr Evil,

Cam profile is a Piper / Caterham profile.  Not available to buy direct from Piper, only Caterham.  Think others might be using a Kent Cams profile that is similar but does that make a non Caterham 310....still a 310?? 

Let the masses decide.

On another note, we're about to launch our throttle body upgrade for the 310 following rolling road testing this Monday.  Results are 174bhp and 135Lbsft of torque.  Should make for a great upgrade and one we can see as being very popular.

Regards

SKC

Hi Dr Evil,

The issue you're going to have is calibration. If you don't run the Piper cams that Caterham use, there is a good chance the calibration won't work.  If you then want an open ECU for a Ti-VCT Sigma, a replacement MBE ECU is about £1300.00 + vat and then there's the time on a rolling road to calibrate it with someone who knows what they are doing.

Regards

SKC

Fair point - may not realistic DIY.  I put MGTF135 cams in an elise together w/verniers and the MEMS ECU accommodates the mild increase of flow with grace, though to be fair I'm rarely in WOT.

My challenge is that is that my Caterham is an EU export model so has a Ford Focus/Siemens ECU with a drive-by-wire throttle body, so without changing all of that for a measly 20-30bhp at 7000rpm, I'd be thinking of adjusting the stock ECU base maps by running closed-loop and looking at the short-term fuel trims for clues.  Was thinking to try an experiment first with a freer-flowing MAF/air filter housing as the stock airbox looks to be a mondeo unit fed through a restricter pipe from the heater box but that's another story.  If that works, I might try for cams.

Hi Mrp,

This upgrade is only available on the 310R, Ti-VCT Sigma engine.  The reason being is that the engine already has a lightweight "billet" flywheel and performance cams making the upgrade more financially attractive at entry level than the entry level Fixed Cam Sigma upgrades. 

We do offer the F155 upgrade for the earlier Fixed Cam Sigma which gives between 155 - 160bhp.  We really wouldn't recommend going any higher than this on a standard flywheel.  Our F175, F190 and F200 upgrades are only sold with a billet flywheels.  The standard cast, heavy Ford flywheels have been known to crack. 

The best upgrade you can put on any Sigma engine is our ultralight flywheel and clutch.  This is 5 - 6kgs lighter than the Ford flywheel and about 3 kgs lighter than the Caterham lightweight flywheel.  If you've driven with a heavy flywheel before, fitting one of these, gives the impression you have loads more power, when in fact you don't.  It really brings the car alive, making it more sensitive in corners, making it easier to steer with the throttle.  It also makes for much faster gear changing and greatly improves throttle response.  You could go for this as an initial upgrade and drive this for a year or so and then come back and have the F155 or F175 upgrade carried out at a later date.

Regards

SKC