Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which options should I not select on my new 310R order

James2

Hi all.

I have a couple of days left to finalise the spec for my new 310R CKD order, and having seen from this wonderful forum that there are some very good sources of Caterham bits aside from CC themselves, I’m wondering which options I was planning on selecting which I could actually omit and get equivalent (or better!) elsewhere?

Of course some of these are prices to upgrade from the standard item to the upgraded version rather than buy the upgraded item outright, so I’m guessing it would be more expensive for most things to buy them elsewhere because I’ll still be effectively paying for the standard item which will still come with the kit, but worth asking...

I’m wondering about the following items, with the standard inc VAT Caterham prices shown:

Clear lens pack  £125 inc VAT

Front cycle wings - Carbon  £355

Full decal pack £395

Half hood  £195

Hood bag  £80

Carbon indicator pods  £125

Sequential shift lights  £300

Carbon vinyl tonneau cover  £250

Quality is important to me though, so I wouldn’t want to go for a cheaper option unless it’s at least as good quality.

Thanks all!

James

• Leadership Team

Just my two-penneth as to what my personal choice would be ...

Clear lens pack  £125 inc VAT - Buy the Just Add Lightness LED versions and fit later, they're the only worthwhile lighting upgrade.

Front cycle wings - Carbon  £355 - it's a good price as an upgrade and if you don't do it you'll kick yourself later. There are alternatives available, before committing I'd like to be sure the latest Caterham version is a better quality than they've historically been and are no longer prone to becoming "milky" in appearance.

Full decal pack £395 - down to personal choice. 

Half hood  £195 - a must-have and this is the same price as buying directly from Thundersports

Hood bag  £80 - don't bother, if you're getting the full weather gear the full hood can be bagged up and stored in your loft, you'll not use it if you have the half hood. Having hood sticks on the boot adds a little extra depth to the boot for touring.

Carbon indicator pods  £125 - £47 each from Caterham parts. Buy them as extras and give the originals away.

Sequential shift lights  £300 - Yes. the Caterham/ACES package is brilliant and of course it's o/e which is preferable if you're doing a high quality build. Make sure it's the user-programmable version (which is available from Caterham Parts for £284).

Carbon vinyl tonneau cover  £250 - get a shower cap from Thundersports instead, you'll never use the tonneau.

Other people may have different views though!

Stu.

The front clear indicator lenses are Land Rover Defender and can be bought  for a few quid on eBay.  AS Stu suggests, buy the JAL rears, and the clear from indicators from eBay.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-90-110-Series-2a-3-Front-Side-Clear-light-lenses-GLR4011/171130849666?epid=1123859783&hash=item27d8318982:g:pd0AAOxyTP1SO1dS:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

• Leadership Team

Or buy the LED versions which are much brighter than using LED bulbs in the standard lenses:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LR047798LEDCL-FRONT-CLEAR-LED-INDICATOR-FITS-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-2007-ONWARDS/173556874358?epid=1990676335&hash=item2868cbbc76:g:ra4AAOSwQt9bqzyn

There might be a need for a couple of diodes on the dash indicator warning light, I'm not sure about the latest wiring.

Stu.

... you'll never use the tonneau.

Hmmm...

The SBFS long-nose shower cap is all you need for weather protection when parked up, but the passenger half of the tonneau is very handy when blatting in cold weather.  Keeps things really snug in the cockpit as it cuts down the draughts.

JV

The consensus is 'yes'. Standard lights are poor, and safety compromised if you don't have a high level LED brake light.  Light technology has moved on massively in recent years, and Caterham hasn't caught up.  They are expensive though, and lower cost option is to fit Spiyda LED panel to your existing lights.  

• Leadership Team

"The SBFS long-nose shower cap is all you need for weather protection when parked up, but the passenger half of the tonneau is very handy when blatting in cold weather.  Keeps things really snug in the cockpit as it cuts down the draughts."

Just my opinion, but unless running an aeroscreen and therefore no doors, any combination of half or full tonneau is in my opinion a complete waste of time. I tried for years and eventually gave up. It's impossible to come up with a satisfactory arrangement for the passenger door and passenger side tonneau that when moving either doesn't leak or flaps around. They should be confined to either using with Brooklands screens, or simply the history book. 

Now I use a combination of half hood / shower cap / umbrella poppered to the screen, whichever is appropriate at the time.

Stu.

I have full hood, hood bag, tonneau, full doors, half doors (all CC), half hood, normal shower cap (SBFS), aeroscreen, full windscreen and lightweight full car cover.  Some might say I am indecisive but I can run in all sorts of configurations depending on the weather.  The tonneau does get used, especially with aero and one half door fitted.  Half hood is useful but I find that you do get wet as the rain gets sucked in from behind through the gap.  I have an SV so maybe different for the tiddlers!  Also depends if you plan to carry SWMBO where I find the tolerances require the full hood and doors to be fitted!

Agree that the DRE shift lights will save you some cash.  

I know this is unusual, but I live in a cold winter climate, so I use the full hood and doors for the 5-6 month winter. I have an SV and I am 5'11'' 190 lbs. --no problems getting in or out. It stays nice and warm all winter .  In the summer months I just have the top down and use wind wings.  Well, this is a big club so there are bound to be a few of us who are a bit unusual.