Combine an end of season blast through glorious French countryside with a visit to Angouleme and the historic “Circuit des Ramparts” classic car event.
We’ve partnered with Travel Destinations to provide an exclusive club member deal to include channel crossings and hotel accommodation at a special price of £339.00 per person based on 2 people in a car sharing a double or twin room – but hurry as there’s only 20 rooms available!
For some this is an ideal opportunity to travel onto the Portofino the following weekend. If you are intending to do this, please let Travel Destinations know when you book the first part and email [email protected] to let us know. You will then need to book the Portofino weekend with the Lotus 7 Club in Italy to book the accommodation with Roberto http://www.lotus7club.it/en/portofino. We will contact those interested and make arrangements for the blat from Angouleme to Portofino and return to Caen.
Now in its 78th year, the famous “Circuit des Remparts” race weekend include concourse competitions, an international tourist rally through the picturesque French countryside, as well as a whole day of vintage and classic car racing around the historic walled circuit in the old town of Angouleme. If you have a vehicle pre-1976 you can even enter any of the events across the Circuit des Remparts weekend…
Thursday 14th September
Check in at Brittany Ferries terminal in Portsmouth at 21:45hrs for the 22:45hrs overnight crossing to Caen. Included is a 4-berth cabin.
Friday 15th September
Arrive Caen at 07:30hrs. Drive to Angouleme in southwest France, which is around 6-7 hours drive. Check-in at the 2 star Ibis Budget Hotel, Angouleme Nord - where you’ll stay for the next 3 nights on a B&B basis.
At 20:45hrs, the Concours d’Elegance takes place in the town gardens – a collection of classic cars of all shapes and sizes, with drivers and their companions in themed dress, where the winner wins their weight in cognac!
Saturday 16th September
A variety of events take place throughout the day:
– A road run starting near the train station in central Angouleme takes place. More than 150 cars drive through the roads of the Charente region, with the run finishing at the Place Victor Hugo in the town centre.
– A cavalcade of Sunday’s race cars – leaving from the Hotel de Ville at around 10:00hrs towards the‘ Geant’ Supermarket.
– From 14:00hrs in the square by the market halls a presentation of Sunday’s race cars and drivers.
– Concours d’Etat – starting at 16:00hrs in the gardens of the Hotel de Ville.
Sunday 17th September
Race day on the historic Circuit des Ramparts from 08:00hrs to 18:00hrs. Race categories include Bugatti Grand Prix cars, Frazer Nash, MGs, Vintage sport and racing cars, GTs, GTSs and GTOs. Those who wish to spectate can buy access to the track, grandstands and wander through the pits and paddock.
Monday 18th September
After breakfast, check out of the Ibis Hotel and drive to Caen before 15:30hrs check-in for the Brittany Ferries 16:30hrs crossing to Portsmouth. Arrive back at Portsmouth at 21:15hrs
£339.00 per person (based on two people in a car sharing a twin/double room)
- Brittany Ferries crossings from Portsmouth to Caen including 4-berth window cabins on outbound route only.
- Three nights’ bed and breakfast in the 2-star Ibis Budget Hotel, Angouleme Nord.
What’s not included
- Vehicle recovery and personal insurance.
- Tickets to the race (from €29.00). Please note these are only available in advance via the event website.
- Entry to the International Rally Road Run (from €300). This is highly recommended although it seems initially expensive the price does include the road run, lunch in the Cognac countryside, a gala reception in the central market hall on Saturday and two entrance/paddock tickets for the racing on Sunday.
To book to experience this historical event, please contact…
Graham Palmer, Travel Destinations 0844 873 0203. A non-refundable deposit of £85.00 per person will be required to secure your booking.